Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Calgary, eh?



After a short stay at home, I'm now out west- Calgary to be specific.
First Impressions of Calgary:
- Very nice parks
- Many bike paths
- I don't think it's possible for a city to be more spread out.

I've heard rumours that this is a "suburban" sort of city and now I see what they mean because it doesn't feel like a busy city in the way London, Toronto, Sydney, etc do. That said, it means there is an awful lot of green space which is nice.
We went on a ~20Km bike ride today in order to run some errands for treeplanting. For those of you who have known me for a while you'll know that things with wheels + hills don't like me, so it was a big deal for me to go on hills on a bike after years of not doing so. As you can see, I've survived to tell the tale.
About halfway through our ride, when we had reached our first destination, we encountered proof that it is no longer winter: it is Construction, also known as "spring and summer". We also acquired a flat....about two seconds after coming across Construction. Not a coincidence unfortunately. As luck would have it, it was the back tire.
The next half hour or so was spent finding the hole in the tube (because we pulled out the big staple before thinking we'd need to mark the spot), buying an only slightly iffy $3 patch kit, applying said patches...twice, and wrestling the whole thing back together. Thankfully, it did the trick and the patch job made it the 10clicks back.
Now it's time for me to sleep which I'm looking forward to; sitting is a bit painful after spending so much time on a bike today.
Another day, another adventure.
xoxo,
F

P.S And just because, these are pictures of a walk in the valley at home before I left.

Eating a concrete donut. Spelunking


Spelunking again. It's what happens when rocks don't skip.

No comments: