

Some guide books have suggested plans for touring London in as little as a week, three days, two days, or a day. We made up our own schedule and toured London in under 5 hours. We left Cambridge on an early morning bus and arrived at our B&B near Heathrow at about 1:30pm so we knew we had to pack everything into a short amount of time. I think we did pretty well.
I should also mention that it was a long weekend and London seemed to be even more crowded than Paris, if that is possible. We were tempted to take one of the many tour buses but chose instead to walk which would not only keep us more awake but save us 25quid.

After arming ourselves with some caffeine to combat our lack of sleep, we started out at Victoria station towards the ever famous Buckingham palace.


We carried on from there through St. James Gardens.
...and on to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and surrounding area.
From Westminster bridge we saw the London Eye (but didn't go on it) and continued to walk along the Thames river all the way to...
...the Tower of London. In the process we passed St.Paul's cathedral, Millennium Bridge, and London bridge.
From the Tower on London we spotted the Tower bridge but were, unfortunately, a little too knackered to get closer to it to take anything more than the duty "I've seen it" picture.
An even clearer sign that I needed sleep after the enjoyable, albeit speedy, tour of London was that these signs:
kept looking like this:
...and I had a brief moment of wondering why there were so many public toilets in buildings that didn't look like...well I caught myself on that and did realize they say "To Let" vs "To Rent" or "For Lease".
You will be glad to hear that we did catch up on our sleep to then fly out of London the next day and we are now back in Canada. It's very odd being back and in many ways it feels like I was gone but a few weeks. The trip on the whole was amazing and, if I were to go back in time, I'd make the same decision. I also highly recommend it for anyone else to do :)
Now I've got one somewhat serious concern to do with being back in Canada: traffic. I think I need to carry this picture around with me:
because after Australia (look right), Korea (look everywhere and try not to cross roads with any traffic on them), and the UK (look right), I've got an automatic reaction to look right. The same reaction I used to have in looking left that I overcame in Australia.
It's good to be back.
xoxo,
F
P.S I should add that I will be heading off to treeplant soon and have decided to continue with the blog as a way to update everyone (and thus providing you with an alternative to thumb twiddling when bored).
No comments:
Post a Comment