Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bird Fight

Little birds (like finches) are sweet and seemingly happy-go-lucky. Medium-sized birds (such as honeyeaters and magpies) are mean and bickering. Big birds (smaller than swan-sized falcons) are nice and calm. This is my theory.

Exhibit A:
You may have noticed that I've not posted pictures of Galahs or Cockatoos and have only had one post with the kookaburra that is here almost daily. The problem is that I've seen all these birds on a regular basis but one of the following ensues: I don't have my camera on me, they are only flying by, or medium-sized birds are waging war on them.
If you recall the post on the Kookaburra there is a picture where a smaller bird's wing is visible. It was making dive bombs at the poor Kookaburra. Well, that happens a lot and more often than not the smaller birds bug it until it leaves. They do the same to Galahs and Cockatoos. Today I finally got pictures of yet another bird fight. The Cockatoo (they're really loud birds btw), was being attacked by two magpie-larks and, not surprisingly, they eventually won.

So that's my theory. Little and big birds co-exist happily whilst the medium-sized birds are playground bullies.

No comments: