Monday, March 3, 2008

Old things

Victoria Bridge and downtown Brisbane
Kangaroo point at night. No tripod makes for fuzzy night pictures.

Demonstrating the proper way to ward off possums in the Botanical Gardens.
I love finding little irregularities like this

I don't think the scale is as honest as it says it is. I haven't checked recently but I don't think I weight 120Kg.


The hall of the hospital.


Gas Station or Mechanic

Hallo,

Well the weekend is done and I'm back to the work-week. Saturday was a nice and lazy day with a lot of walking around (oxymoron, I know). Sunday I went to a Historical Village in Caboolture followed by a trip to Bribie Island. I thought the village would be something like Black Creek Village or lower Fort Gary but it proved to be fairly different. There were about 40 buildings including a school, morgue, bottle collection house, wireless house, railway station, hotel, gas station, police, etc. It was made by donation and volunteer work and continues to run on volunteer work from members of the historical society- this seems to be a bit of a limitation unfortunately as there were only two volunteers there on Sunday.
I discovered a few things while there, that have little to do with history, one of which is that I'm very much creeped out by old mannequins. Most of the rooms in the buildings were closed off and occupied by one or two mannequins whose heads were clearly staying on their bodies by a scarf. It could also have been in combination with the smell of 1900 objects; suffice it to say I liked being outdoors rather than in the buildings.
The second discovery was that there were some very pretty glass bottles being made 100 years ago. The bottles I deemed the nicest of the lot turned out to be made for poison. I'm not sure if I'm to look for a deeper meaning in that or not. Speaking of which, Teacher's was or still is a brand of Scotch...drink too much and it will teach you a lesson on how your brain feels when rattling in your skull? I'll skip that lesson.
I'd say the most interesting building was the hospital because it was neat to see how some tools have not changed in the least despite how far medicine has come since then. Admittedly the hospital didn't have much competition in my mind because I chose not to go into such places as "The Axeman's Hall".
Bribie Island is a place a lot of people go to retire; nice beaches, golfing, and yacht clubs. I'll store that at the back of my mind for later :)
Hope you are all well!
xoxo,
F

6 comments:

Annia said...

Haha! Your expression is priceless....

Annia said...

OMG! Is that a comment I see on the main page??!?!?! *MY* comment, no less?!?! O happy day at long laaast!!!

Annia said...

This is so exciting for me... can ya tell? :p

Titch said...

hahahaa, glad the comments are finally working for you. That expression came from an interesting conversation about biting possums...and it must be said it's very flattering.

Unknown said...

Hi,Titch,it is a very nice blog inded.I felt you move,meaning it is a very cooooooooooooool blog keep working like this.thanks
NB.YOU R WELLCAME TO MY BLOG TO.

Titch said...

Thank you for the feedback- I appreciate it!
Cheers