Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bug Bites

On the way home.

This picture is mostly about that statue you can sort of see beside the white building. I thought it might be of historical note but apparently it was put up by a well known hair stylist for himself.

Waterfront of the botanical gardens- Kangaroo Point cliffs on the other side.

Halfway through the weekend already and wishing I could go back in time without going to North America! It thankfully didn't rain today and isn't supposed to tomorrow but I'm thinking that is going to change pretty quickly given the size of the spider I killed last night.
I admit, it wasn't the nicest thing I've done and I didn't especially like getting rid of it but I was happy to find the culprit for a couple bites I woke up with yesterday. It's body was about the size of a penny with legs to match and as such wasn't the biggest spider I've seen by far but it was big enough. I was also housing the largest mosquito I've ever seen and it didn't last long either. I would have taken pictures of both if it weren't for the fact that would have taken away from the task of removing them from my room.
I spent the day in the city and found a few things to wonder about. When in the botanical gardens, I noticed a single strand of spider web above where I was sitting that went from one tree to another one about 8 feet away. The strand was pretty much parallel with the ground. Here is my question: How did the spider get the strand straight across an 8 foot gap 10 feet off the ground? I know there are jumping spiders who can "fly" about a foot but they also tend to be ground spiders. And more importantly, why wasn't this in a grade 8 math and/or science question?
xoxo,
F

No comments: